Charles Absalon Bow...

Notifications
Clear all

Charles Absalon Bowring (1846-1937) and Charlotte Bowring nee Dunning Roberts (1848-1938)

Topic starter
(@ex-member)

Charles and Charlotte Bowring immigrated to Canada, April 25 or 28, 1874, SS Sarmatian, arrived Quebec, Canada. The family (or some of them) travelled back to England 4 years later - perhaps for the funeral of his mother, Eliza Bowering (spelling varies) nee Wellon. She died April 27, 1878, Grimston, Stratton. We are guessing that this may have been the reason for the family's return to England. We have the death certificate of Eliza Bowering. We have the record of Charles returning to Canada from Liverpool, Aug. 22, 1878, SS Sarmatian, arriving Canada, Aug. 29, 1878, along with 3 Bowering children (not his own, perhaps nephews) and 3 of his own children: Florence (4), Elizabeth (3) and Ellen (about 1 yr). But NO mention of Charlotte returning with him, although she is definitely in Canada 2 years later, because they had another child.

The question: Is there a newspaper account of the funeral for Eliza Bowring which may mention the surviving relatives, including Charlotte? Is there a record of the family arriving in England from Canada in 1878? From my research so far, we understand that the documents for incoming passengers to England in 1878 are no longer available (perhaps destroyed in some kind of catastrophic event, fire/flood?). If there is no newspaper account, is there any other way to trace this family's whereabouts in Dorset between about April 1878 and August 1878? What happened to Charlotte either arriving in England or departing from England in 1878?

Charles Absalon and Charlotte Bowring are my partner Ronald Beaumont's great-grandparents, married Dec. 27, 1870, Fordington, Dorset. Thank you for any leads or tips. Margaret Friesen

2 Replies
Topic starter
(@ex-member)

Dear Dorset FHS members: My member no. is 4978. Please can anyone send me a tip about the above inquiry? Thanks kindly, Margaret

Topic starter
(@ex-member)

Please close this question. Thanks to an astute Dorset FHS researcher I was mismatching two different families who immigrated to Canada. The names of the parents were the same as for our branch, 3 of the 5 children’s names were the same, and the ages for all were close or identical. The two families immigrated 4 years apart. My mismatch had led me to guess (incorrectly) that our family travelled back to England and returned again 4 years later. Not so.

Share: