Philadelphia Easter...

Notifications
Clear all

Philadelphia Easter and William Squibb - 2011

Page 1 / 2

Topic starter
(@forumusr1)

I believe that the above named were my 4 x Great Grandparents. They married in Blandford Forum in 1749/50 (two conflicting years given on different databases). Philadelphia was born in Milton Abbas (Middleton) in 1725 daughter of John and Mary Easter. I am not sure where William was born. They lived in Hilton and between 1752 and 1764, I have found baptisms for 6 children there, including their daughter Philadelphia Squibb who married a Samuel Batt of Blandford Forum in 1800. Both Philadelphia’s seem to subsequently been known as Phillis. I wonder if anyone on the list has any connection to them, or has actually seen the name Philadelphia used for a girl? Thanking you in anticipation.
Pat Robertson
Member 3739

5 Replies
Topic starter
(@forumusr1)

I looked up Philadelphia online:

• as a girl's name is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Philadelphia is "loving people" ...
I have also found 3 William SQUIBB Baptisms online in Dorset in Parish Records he may be one of these:
"Day: 15; Month: Sep; Year: 1726; Forenames: William; Surname: SQUIBB; Parents names: son of John; Place: Dorchester; Description: Holy Trinity; County: Dorset
Day: 8; Month: Feb; Year: 1728; Forenames: William; Surname: SQUIBB; Parents names: son of July; Place: Bere Regis; Description:; County: Dorset
Day: 17; Month: Sep; Year: 1728; Forenames: William; Surname: SQUIBB; Parents names: George&Mary; Place: Fordington; Description:; County: Dorset"
They are not connected to me but I thought it was rather nice to follow up the name Philadelphia.
Alison Member No. 4318

Topic starter
(@forumusr1)

Thank you to Marion and Alison for their replies to my query regarding the above named. I was interested to see some possible baptisms for William Squibb. I just have another query having only discovered these folk last week. Philadelphia’s baptism from Find my Past, shows her baptism as Milton Abbas St James in 1725, but according to information on the web, the Church was not built until the 1780’s when Milton Abbas was built and Middleton was demolished so that the Earl of Dorchester could show off his new home. I am therefore wondering where she was actually baptised or whether there was a Church in Middleton as well although I can’t find any trace of one on the net? We will be visiting Milton Abbas in July for the Medieval Fayre so hopefully I can do a bit of family history then. Many thanks. Pat Robertson

Topic starter
(@forumusr1)

According to "Tracing Dorset Ancestors" compiled by Michael; Walcot in 1985

Milton Abbas (St James) was formerly St Mary and St Sampson, part of the Blandford Registration District.

Orig records C1651 to 1849, M 1651 to 1837, B 1651 to 1879, Banns 1754 to 1885 and are located in Dorset History Centre at Bridport Road, Dorchester. BT 1731 to 1846 are at Trowbridge , Wilts. copies M1559 to 1812 are at Dorchester, and M1569 to 1812 are published by Phillimore.

In addition do not forget the Society of Friends (Quakers) from 1668 were at the Dorchester Monthly meeting and 1690 at the Poole Monthly Meeting.

If anyone wants to check out other sources in Dorset, the ISBN 0 9510309 0 6 published by the Somerset and Dorset FHS is a must for my bookshelf.

Topic starter
(@forumusr1)

The original church is in the Abbey (which is now Milton Abbey School at the bottom of the hill at Milton Abbas) and is now used as their school chapel. I believe that the church and the Monks Dining Hall were the only buildings to survive the demolition in 1771 and were incorporated into Lord Milton's new home. Of course Lord Milton didn't want the villagers to come to the church in his home, so he had a new one built in the 'new' village up the hill and the parish registers were transferred to the new church.

There is a short history which mentions the Abbey Church on the Milton Abbey School Website - www.miltonabbey.co.uk (under the About MA tab).

As it is privately owned, I'm not sure if you can make an appointment through the school to visit the original church.

Page 1 / 2
Share: