Dorset Family History Society Privacy Statement
The purpose of this statement is to explain to you what personal information we collect and how we may use it.
- About Us
Dorset Family History Society is a registered charity (Charity number 801504). Our purpose is to encourage and facilitate research into Family History (Genealogy). We do this by providing relevant data, support and education to people who access our services. Membership of the Society is available to all who pay the annual membership fee and conform to the rules of the Society. The Society provides a quarterly Journal to each paid up member annually. The Society’s Research Centre (Treetops, Stanley House, 3, Fleets Lane, Poole Dorset, BH15 3AJ.) provides access to data provided by the Society or available to us by subscription to other data providers. A small fee is payable to use the research facilities. Volunteers from the Society will offer support to persons using the research facility. Other volunteers will carry out limited amounts of research on behalf of members for a fee.
- Information we collect about you
When you take out a membership subscription with the Society or place an order through our website (www.dorsetfhs.org.uk) or at Treetops we may collect your name, address, phone number and email address. This allows us to process your Membership, fulfil your order and send you your Journals.
- What do we do with your information?
We use the personal information you send us for the following purposes:
- provide you with the benefits of your membership.
- process orders you place for books or services.
- send you journals.
- send you information relevant to your membership. (For example, membership renewal reminders.)
- put you in touch with other researchers (if you have signed up to Members’ Interests).
- send you the email E-Newsletter (if you have signed up to receive it).
We will only contact you with your consent. You are entitled to withhold this consent and opt out from receiving such communications at any time by contacting the Society by mail or email.
You can also update these options by selecting Secretary on the Contact Us form or by post to DFHS (Data Officer), Treetops, Stanley House, 3, Fleets Lane, Poole Dorset, BH15 3AJ.
- Sharing your information with third parties
We may from time to time provide limited personal information to third parties for the purposes of providing you with our services. These third-party providers include the printers who send out your quarterly Journals.
If you have provided personal data to enable sharing of research data through the Members’ Interests service of the Society we will share only the portion of your personal data needed to enable the enquirer to make contact with you.
We do not keep a record of your credit or debit card details in our systems.
We will not provide your data to other third parties for marketing purposes.
- Obtaining a copy of your information
You are entitled to receive a copy of the information we hold about you. You can do this by contacting us by selecting Secretary on the Contact Us form or by post to DFHS (Data Officer), Treetops, Stanley House, 3, Fleets Lane, Poole Dorset, BH15 3AJ.
- Correcting your information
You are entitled under Data Protection law to require that we update your personal information to ensure it is up-to-date and accurate. In order to maintain the accuracy of the information we hold, you can update your personal details by contacting us by selecting Secretary on the Contact Us form or by post to DFHS (Data Officer), Treetops, Stanley House, 3, Fleets Lane, Poole Dorset, BH15 3AJ.
- How we protect your information
We follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of information which you have given us, to prevent unauthorised access to, and loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2016, rules.
- How long we hold your data for
We will hold your personal data for the period of six months after the expiry of your Membership, this will enable us to contact you to remind you that your membership has expired and allow you the opportunity to re-instate membership by paying the current membership dues. It also allows for the completion of any transactions you entered into before your membership expired.
If you have an account to amend this site, when you log in we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser. If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
When you log in to the Member Area, we will set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year.
We collect information about you during the checkout process on our store.
What we collect and store
While you visit our site, we’ll track:
- Products you’ve viewed: we’ll use this to, for example, show you products you’ve recently viewed
- Location, IP address and browser type: we’ll use this for purposes like estimating taxes and shipping
- Shipping address: we’ll ask you to enter this so we can, for instance, estimate shipping before you place an order, and send you the order!
When you purchase from us, we’ll ask you to provide information including your name, billing address, shipping address, email address, phone number and credit card/payment details. We’ll use this information for purposes, such as, to:
- Send you information about your account and order
- Respond to your requests, including refunds and complaints
- Process payments and prevent fraud
- Comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes
- Improve our store offerings
We generally store information about you for as long as we need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it, and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we will store order information for 6 years for tax and accounting purposes. This includes your name, email address and billing and shipping addresses.
Who on our team has access
Members of our team have access to the information you provide us. For example, both Administrators and Shop Managers can access:
- Order information such as what was purchased, when it was purchased and where it should be sent, and
- Customer information such as your name, email address, and billing and shipping information.
Our team members have access to this information to help fulfil orders, process refunds and support you.
What we share with others
We share information with third parties who help us provide our orders and store services to you; for example — payment gateways and shipping providers
We accept payments through PayPal. When processing payments, some of your data will be passed to PayPal, including information required to process or support the payment, such as the purchase total and billing information.
We ship your order through Royal Mail. We will supply them with your address to enable the delivery of your purchase.
If you create, submit, import, save, or publish Event, Venue, or Organiser information, such information is retained in the local database:
- Venue information: name, address, city, country, state, postal code, phone, website, geographical coordinates (latitude and longitude)
- Organiser information: name, phone, website, email
- Event information: website, cost, description, date, time, image
Please note that to create new events a user must hold a website account on this domain. This information is retained in the local database.
How Long We Retain this Data
All information (data) is retained in the local database for 9 months after the event has taken place, when it is deleted.
Where We Send Your Data
We do not send any user data outside of this website.