The next Family History Day will be on Saturday 21st March 2020 so please mark the date in your diaries.
If you have attended previous FHDs you will know that it is a great day out at a superb venue:
Parkstone Grammar School,
The event is from 10am till 4pm and Admission and Parking are Free. There is easy level access to our numerous Exhibitors, a free research advice service with the major genealogy internet sites & Dorset records available, a sales area and lots more!
As in the past refreshments will be available all day in a seated area within the school and near to all the stands.
During the day there will be speakers giving the following interesting talks:
• ‘DNA and a Paper Trail’ by Dr Penny Walters (Tickets are £1 on the day)
The results given after DNA testing is explained and explored so that ‘useful’ DNA matches can be added to family trees to inform a restructured paper trail. A variety of ethical dilemmas are also outlined.
• ‘Getting Started’ by David Gynes (a Free Talk)
A guide to those starting out on their journey to discover their ancestors.
• ‘Sons of the Soil’ by Dr Janet Few (Tickets are £1 on the day)
Every family has them, ancestors who worked the land. How can we find out more about them, the farms that they worked and the lives that they led? This talk covers a range of sources, many of them under-used, which will help to shed light on the working lives of our rural British ancestors.
Exhibitors who will be attending are:
- Andrew Punshon (photos, postcards & greeting cards)
- Bristol & Avon Family History Society
- Christchurch History Federation
- Devon Family History Society
- Families in British India Society (FIBIS)
- Family & Community Historical Research Society
- Family History Federation
- Guild of One Name Studies (GOONS)
- Longley Publications
- Martyn Lawrence (buying and selling postcards & valuations)
- My History
- Oxford Duplication
- Poole Family History Centre – Family Search (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints)
- Poole Flag Trust
- Romany & Traveller Family History Society
- Root & Branch (tracing relatives, writing memoirs)
- Society for Poole
- Sussex Family History Society
- This Way Books
- Wiltshire Family History Society
- Wyvern Railway Ancestors
Additional Information will be added as details and Exhibitors are confirmed.
Dorset Family History Society looks forward to welcoming everyone, those starting out on their research and those who have been working on it for years!