Loading Events

Past Events

Events Search and Views Navigation

Event Views Navigation

November 2019

West Surrey Family History Society Fair

2nd November 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Woking Leisure Centre, Kingfield Road
Woking, GU22 9BA United Kingdom
+ Google Map

Dorset FHS will bring their stall.

Find out more »

Computer Group – Using the Red Cross Site

5th November 2019 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Treetops FH Research Centre, 3, Fleets Lane
Poole, Dorset BH15 3AJ United Kingdom
+ Google Map

We will attempt to access the Red Cross web site which holds information about prisoners of war and internees. If anyone wants to look first, https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/ is the First World War site and https://vad.redcross.org.uk has other UK relevant records. Please note this event was published with the incorrect date in the September Journal. It is 5th November - so we will go off with a bang.

Find out more »

December 2019

Computer Group – Christmas Quiz

3rd December 2019 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm

Last year’s winner will provide a light-hearted quiz to see who can set next year’s! Please contribute a SMALL offering to the refreshments.

Find out more »

January 2020

Computer Group – No meeting in January

January 7 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Find out more »

“Women of Poole” – a talk by Richard Yeoman

January 21 @ 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
St George’s Church – Large Hall, Darby's Lane, Oakdale
Poole, Dorset BH15 3EU United Kingdom
+ Google Map

The talk covers women of Poole who have made a mark on the town, the country, or even internationally. They were either born in Poole or lived here for a considerable time. Richard's interest in the subject came about from a small exhibition in Poole Central Library. Coinciding with International Womens' Day, it told of women of note from Poole. Richard is a long time volunteer at Poole Museum's History Centre, and also Editor of the Museum Society's Newsletter. N.B.…

Find out more »

February 2020

Computer Group – Bring an Ancestor Part 2

February 4 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Treetops FH Research Centre, 3, Fleets Lane
Poole, Dorset BH15 3AJ United Kingdom
+ Google Map

Several members were unable to contribute at our September meeting, as time ran out. Members are invited to bring along a short introduction to one of their ancestors. If that includes information which can be displayed on the big screen or details of sites that provided information on that ancestor, even better..

Find out more »

“Family History Sources at The National Archives” – a talk by Susan Moore

February 18 @ 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
St George’s Church – Large Hall, Darby's Lane, Oakdale
Poole, Dorset BH15 3EU United Kingdom
+ Google Map

Susan's talk will concentrate on the valuable sources held at the National Archives. Bearing in mind that only 5% of the Archives are on-line, she shows the sort of information that can be found by family historians in the other 95%. Subjects will range from Army and Naval personnel, to tax and Manors, and then to records of family disputes and criminal records. The talk will not only illustrate the information in the records, but will include guidance on identifying…

Find out more »

March 2020

Computer Group – Any Questions

March 3 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Treetops FH Research Centre, 3, Fleets Lane
Poole, Dorset BH15 3AJ United Kingdom
+ Google Map

Moving on from our former Open Forums, we are trying a wider topic. Alan will still try to answer technical computer questions if you e-mail them to him at least 7 days before the meeting at webmaster@dorsetfhs.org.uk . In addition, the assembled group will attempt to help on Family History questions. We usually have a range of expertise present, so you could well be lucky.

Find out more »

“Mixing DNA Results with a Paper Trail” – a talk by Dr. Penny Walters

March 17 @ 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
St George’s Church – Large Hall, Darby's Lane, Oakdale
Poole, Dorset BH15 3EU United Kingdom
+ Google Map

This meeting has been cancelled in light of new Government guidance on Coronavirus. Penny explains how to merge established paper trails with DNA results, the biology and jargon of which can be overwhelming. Through DNA testing people receive ethnicity estimates, a heritage map, a list of people that DNA matches (overlaps) with, and the opportunity to contact and collaborate if they wish. Many people only focus on that ethnicity result and don't know what to do with the other information.…

Find out more »

Family History Day – Fair

March 21 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Parkstone Grammar School, Sopers Lane
Poole, Dorset BH17 7EP United Kingdom
+ Google Map
Free

We regret to advise that our Family History Day at Parkstone Grammar School on Saturday 21st March 2020 has been cancelled due to concerns about coronavirus.

Find out more »
+ Export Events